Michigan State University
I was trying to figure out what to write next, and before I went to bed last night I saw the tragic news out of Michigan State. Again. Yet another senseless act of violence that we have come to accept as just an unfortunate part of American life. Before I go on, first things first. Parents, hug your kids. Let them know they are loved no matter what. Kids, realize that no matter how bad things seem to be in your life there is always another answer than harming yourself or others. Find positive influences in your circle; I promise you they are out there.
I have a teenage daughter and my heart stops every time I get a "temporary hold" email from her school due to police activity in the area. Nobody should have to live like that. For the record, yes, I am a gun owner. I have a license to carry and I have taught my daughter how to shoot. I believe that every person has to make a decision on what they are prepared to do to protect themselves and those they love, and I have as much respect for responsible gun owners as I do for those who choose another path (even if I wouldn't choose it myself). I want to highlight one word: responsible. In this age of instant gratification, on-demand self-absorption we as a society have convinced ourselves to put the concept of "our rights" front and center while completely ignoring that each one of those rights is inextricably tied to a profound obligation to our fellow citizens. Your rights are no more important that mine; they do not entitle you to any more or less consideration than me. If you are incapable of accepting the responsibilities that come with them, I have no interest in listening to you whine about "your rights".
For those who beat the drum for banning certain types of guns, or limiting certain features, etc., while I certainly understand the thought, it's important to remember that a gun is a tool. It is a tool designed to apply kinetic force at a distance. It does not act of its own accord; it is incapable of independent thought. It has no innate morality, motivation or the ability to think. While we can certainly put restrictions on certain types of guns, none of those restrictions will change the nature of this particular tool and in turn will have no substantive impact on the violence we see all too often.
And for those who would argue that school shootings and related acts of violence are simply the price we pay to protect the Second Amendment, while I support the need for it, to hide behind it to justify senseless violence is an affront to the intent of that freedom and those of us who take the profound responsibility of gun ownership seriously. You really expect me to believe that the nation that sent men to the moon, has cured scores of diseases and both split AND fused the atom can't somehow figure out a reasonable way to protect the rights of law-abiding citizens while also providing more effective protections for society at large? That is nothing more than sheer laziness and lack of imagination. Expanding background checks to minimize the risk of criminals or other threats acquiring guns is not some outrageous infringement on your precious "rights"; it's an acknowledgement that we have a responsibility to protect society as a whole even in the face of temporary inconvenience.
We don't have a gun problem in this country; we have a VIOLENCE problem. We've become desensitized to the pain of others to the point that it no longer registers in our collective consciousness. We minimize the importance of mental health and continue to attach a negative stigma to those who seek help. Until we acknowledge that some people can't "just get over it" and treat mental illness like an actual illness; until we provide gun stores with more comprehensive information on those who walk into buy a gun (this includes gun shows) and until we start to pay more attention to those around us so we can see possible warning signs before they become acute and dangerous, we can ban AR-15s and magazines above 15 rounds all day and STILL be in the same place we are today. To those who say "well, at least they would only be able to kill a smaller amount of people", my question is reply is "isn't one too many?". EVERY life has value. Somewhere along the way we've lost sight of that truth, and until we get it back we are doomed to repeat this brutal cycle of sadness, outrage, and seemingly endless "thoughts and prayers".
Comments
Post a Comment